Tuesday, August 30, 2011

RIP VI


I've decided to do the RIP challenge for the first time this year, and I'm really excited! It's been chilly and damp here, and the evening sunlight is changing noticeably as we approach September. I've definitely been in the mood for some dark, atmospheric reads.

I'm going all out and participating in at least three and possibly four Perils. I might as well, since I tend to binge on mystery, gothic, and supernatural stories each fall. I'll be doing Peril the First (read any four books, any length), Peril of the Short Story, Peril on the Screen, and possibly Peril of the Group Read (every one of the three books featured is on my TBR list, so I probably will do this one too.)

Aside from the books selected for the Peril of the Group Read, I'm also considering the following:

Novels
  • The Death Instinct by Jed Rubenfeld
  • Bad Intentions by Karin Fossum
  • The Language of Bees by Laurie R. King
  • Eight Months on Ghazzah Street by Hilary Mantel
  • The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
  • In the Woods by Tana French
  • Room by Emma Donoghue
Short Stories
  • Miscellaneous Sherlock Holmes stories
  • Tales of Mystery and Madness by Poe
  • Just After Sunset by Stephen King
Movies

Probably lots of Masterpiece Mystery! fare. I've got lots of that on my Netflix queue.

I've also got a handful of cozy mysteries on my shelves that might make the novels list. I'm looking forward to seeing others' lists too because I'm sure I'll get lots of ideas.

I love this time of year!

13 comments:

  1. The Distant Hours was excellent!! I have Room. I should add it to my list.

    Here is my R.I.P. VI list

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Masterpiece Mystery starts with new episodes of Inspector Lewis this coming Sunday. Can't wait. I'll be watching those. My wife and I also started watching Midsomer Murders recently on Netflix and are loving them. I think we are through Season 6 already.

    So happy you are joining in for the first time. I hope, of course, that you have a wonderful time and make this an annual ritual.

    Your list of books is great. There are books I haven't heard of but will have to look up (always a dangerous thing for the TBR pile) and books, like The Distant Hours, that I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke--thanks! I loved The Forgotten Garden.

    Carl--thanks so much for the Midsomer Murders recommendation! Since they're available for streaming I think I'll start right away ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They start off a bit silly, and the main detective is very sarcastic to his younger partner, which is fun, and they get a tad more serious while retaining interesting relationships as the series goes on. Hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just finished the first one and loved it! I'll link a review later today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've really enjoyed the Poirot movies from Masterpiece Theatre. Sounds like a fun way do RIP!
    (Hallowe'en Party was a good one too. That was Miss Marple.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Poirot movies are great, and I've really enjoyed the last two actresses who have played Miss Marple.

    I was also enjoying the more low-key Aurelio Zen episodes they showed in July, so much so that I plan to read the next book in the series as part of my R.I.P. reads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, thanks for the suggestions! My Netflix queue is going to blow up. But I do love finding a new series that I enjoy, both with books and TV shows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and if you haven't watched the three episodes of the new Sherlock series (which are also on Netflix watch instantly) then you are missing out. They are very good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to read The Distant Hours, too. It is on my TBR, but I am not sure if I will get to it. Enjoy your selections!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Room last year, and it completely blew me away. I'm not familiar with the other books in your list, and I'm definitely going to look them up. By the way, I'm joining for the first time this year, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have Poe's Tales of Mystery and Imagination on my list. I wonder if it's the same thing? I've already read a few stories in it - they're fabulously creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll bet they are, Trish. I have a hardcover Barnes & Noble Library edition, but it's available in several other editions with the same title. Thanks for the endorsement! Maybe I'll save them for October, when I'll *really* be in the mood for creepy.

    ReplyDelete