Wednesday, August 31, 2011

RIP VI: Midsomer Murders

Today, thanks to Carl, I discovered a new detective drama: Midsomer Murders. I should probably preface this by saying that I'm not much of a film critic (or book critic, for that matter). I just know what I like and what I don't like.

I watched the first two episodes and am really enjoying them. In the first episode, "The Killings at Badger's Drift," an elderly woman is found dead in her cottage after seeing something disturbing in a local wood. DCI Tom Barnaby immediately suspects murder. Interspersed with the murder mystery are vignettes from Barnaby's home life with his wife and daughter, who's a budding actress.

The mystery is typical detective drama fare: Barnaby questions all the locals, most of them lie to him, and red herrings abound until a few offhand comments and events that don't make sense finally lead him to the murderer.

The acting tends to be a little cheesy, although a young Emily Mortimer is delightful as the May end of a May/December romance. One of the murder scenes, which included a lingering shot of a huge knife hovering over the victim, actually made me laugh out loud. But the setting is lovely, the characters interesting, and the mystery intriguing.

In the second episode, "Written in Blood," Barnaby and Sgt. Troy must find the killer of a local man after he's hosted a meeting of a local writers' group. I enjoyed this episode slightly more than the first. Anna Massey is wonderful as a creepy, vengeful woman, and Una Stubbs is funny and sad as Selina Jennings, the heavy-drinking wife of famous author Max Jennings. In one scene, Max and Selina are talking in the kitchen one morning while Selina mixes a bloody Mary. Max asks, "Isn't it a bit early for that?" Selina replies, "No! I'm awake!"

In another scene between Barnaby and his wife Joyce, the gruff Barnaby exhibits his softer side. Barnaby find his daughter's cat, which he and Joyce are looking after, in his bed and has a minor argument with Joyce about whether it can sleep with them.
(Barnaby pulls back the bedcovers to reveal the cat)
Barnaby: Joyce...
Joyce: He's lonely!
Barnaby: I don't care if he's manically depressed, he's not sleeping there.
Joyce: Just for tonight?
Barnaby: Not tonight! Not ever!
(Cut to Barnaby sleeping peacefully in bed while his wife reads on one side and the cat snuggles up one the other)
There was one unintentionally hilarious moment in the episode too, when the camera closes in on a character who is supposed to be dead ... and she blinks. But despite from the occasional goofiness, I'm looking forward to watching the rest of this series.

8 comments:

  1. Oh boy, you have so much cheesiness to look forward to, MM is habit-forming! There's even a couple of late episodes with hints at the supernatural. And some really grisly murders. I've tried the books too, but they don't have the joyous idiocy of the television series. One of the things that's fun is that there's the feel of a regular ensemble about the actors - people appear over and over again, and there's a real sense that they are all having fun. It's perfect RIP fare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These mystery series where murders abound in relatively small towns crack me up in general. Agatha Raisin, anyone? You'd think pretty soon these towns would run out of residents! But that's part of the reason I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Midsomer Murders is one of my favorite Saturday afternoon, half-napping, half-watching shows. Netflix recently added all 10 seasons to their streaming video service, and I had a bit of a wallow in the first season eps. I hope you continue to enjoy the show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I've gotten a bit distracted by the new Sherlock series, but I've only got one episode left and then it'll be back to Midsomer Murders. I am looking forward to getting back to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are enjoying Midsomer Murders. We are up to season 7 now. Actually some of the cheesiness lessens as the series goes on. It doesn't disappear, the charm is still there, but it gets to the point where it is much less prevalent, as if the series was trying to find its way early on and settled more comfortably in a place with less silliness but not completely dour seriousness.

    Its been very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new Sherlock is highly distracting, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have to try this series out. Mystery + cheesiness usually works for me. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Sherlock series! I'm impatient for more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apparently the new Sherlock has been postponed until 2012. Bummer!

    ReplyDelete