Thursday, September 1, 2011

To the Library

We decided to brush the dust off our bikes last night and ride downtown to the library. Unfortunately the lovely cool temperatures we've had for the past few days are now a thing of the past--temporarily, anyway. We also had to deal with thick swarms of gnats on the way there and I probably inhaled more than I care to think about. It's only 6.5-mile round trip, though, and the ride home was much more pleasant.

I think I did pretty well:

  • Maigret's Christmas by Georges Simenon. I've been wanting to read these short stories for a few years and thought the RIP VI challenge would be a good reason to pick it up again. I started the first story at the library and can tell that I'm really going to enjoy these stories. It's been several years since I've read a Maigret book and I'd forgotten how good they are.
  • Ruined by Paula Morris. I actually reserved this before I found out about the RIP challenge, but I think it'll be a good fit. It also takes place in New Orleans! We took a trip there last winter and I've been keeping my eyes open for books set there ever since.
  • Mr. Peanut by Adam Ross. I've heard Ann mention this book on Books on the Nightstand a few times, so when I saw it on the shelf tonight, I decided it was time to give it a go. It should also be good for the RIP challenge. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel described it as "Sophisticated, surreal and creepy."
  • How to Bake a Perfect Life by Barbara O'Neal. I saw Jenny Hansen raving about Barbara O'Neal and decided to give her a try.
  • A Brief Guide to the Modern Library by Colm Toibin and Carmen Callil. This is another one of those books that's basically a list of novels. I'm actually thinking about a post about this book, and other book lists, later this week.
  • The Queen of New Beginnings by Erica James. I just saw this on the shelf and thought it looked entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment