Wednesday, September 7, 2011

RIP VI: Death of a Gossip by MC Beaton

As I mentioned yesterday, I became hooked on MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin series a couple years ago. I almost got caught up on that series, which currently spans 21 novels, earlier this year; but then I had to take a break.

Now that fall is rolling around, I decided to pick up the most recent Agatha Raisin book--the only one I hadn't read--from my library, and I also decided to get started on Beaton's other popular series about the Scottish police constable Hamish Macbeth.

For some reason Death of a Gossip is no longer in print in the US, but my library still has the first edition hardcover from 1985. I started it last night and finished it tonight.

The premise of this book is that a malicious busybody is murdered at a week-long fishing camp in Scotland. Everyone else attending the camp has a motive for murdering the obnoxious woman, but it's up to Macbeth to determine which one of them did the deed.

Although the sleepy, easygoing Hamish Macbeth has practically nothing in common with Agatha Raisin, this book has several of the hallmarks of a Beaton book. I think it would be easy to play a drinking game while reading one of these books. It would involve taking a shot ever time a character "jeers," "sneers," screams at another character, calls another character sexy, or behaves inconsistently in order to advance the plot or a subplot.

Despite these minor annoyances, which I think can be alleviated by simply not reading Beaton books in quick succession, I'm planning to keep reading this series. Macbeth's character intrigued me: I want to know more about the six younger siblings he's helping his parents support and whether he ever becomes romantically involved with the beautiful and rebellious Priscilla Halburton-Smythe. Beaton's books are also very short, very easy reads, which makes them good palate cleansers.

This was my first full-length novel for the RIP VI challenge.

6 comments:

  1. I try not to read too many books by any one author in a row because I am always worried it will ruin the author for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if my wife has read any of these. They sound like something she would enjoy reading and I would enjoy watching. Your description of the plot reminds me of a Midsomer Murders episode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kailana--the only contemporary detective fiction author whose books I've been able to tolerate in quick succession is Louise Penny (Inspector Gamache). Her books are really beautifully written.

    Carl--Yes! They do remind me of Midsomer Murders! And you can read one in about the same amount of time that you can watch an episode of Midsomer Murders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds just perfect.

    And I have to say, regarding the other stories, that I love the sound of the name "Agatha Raisin"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, and it's really a perfect name for her. Just so you know, that series should be read in order. There's quite a bit about Agatha's personal life and her business that builds up from book to book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip. I generally try to read stuff in order anyway, but I know there are some book series where that really isn't all that necessary.

    ReplyDelete