Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What I'm Reading

I'm still working on Berlin Noir. It's good, but intense. After I finished the first novel in the volume--March Violets--I decided that I needed a break before reading the next volume. So I picked up The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer, which is also, in part, about the mistreatment of Jews prior to World War II, except this time in Paris. Some break from pre-war Berlin! I'm on a real roll with books that take place before and during World War II, but so far they've all been excellent and I'm not complaining.

I also started listening to the Audible recording of Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. It's pretty good so far, but the audiobook narrator reads so slowly that I have my iPod set on the "faster" setting for audiobooks and it still seems slightly slow. I've had to rewind a few times because my attention wanders. Other than that, though I think the narrator has a great voice. I've been trying to stick with housecleaning while I listen to this one because there's less to distract my attention.

Also, I started reading this week's issue of The New Yorker on my Kindle last night. I mostly read The New Yorker for the essays, but this week's short story, which is about a family's visit to M&M World in Times Square, is excellent and seems to be available free online right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment