Monday, June 6, 2011

Library Monday

I've picked up three books from the library this week. I've had a lot going on lately and not much opportunity to hang out at the library and browse, so these are all books I'd reserved:
  • The Sisters Brothers: I saw this on a summer reading list somewhere and thought it looked intriguing. It's about a couple of henchmen brothers whose last name is Sisters. From the jacket copy: "It ... beautifully captures the humor, melancholy, and grit of the Old West and two brothers bound by blood, violence, and love."
  • The King's Speech: I put this on hold right after we saw the movie. As usually happens when I see a movie that's based on an historical event, my first thought was, "OK, what really happened?" Although I think the movie was reasonably accurate. I guess I'll found out when I read this book!
  • The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity: I heard Lisa Genova, one of the best writers I've discovered this year, discuss this on the podcast Authors on Tour podcast. I've sort of implemented the morning pages concept, although I'm sort of easing into the three-page limit by writing one page each day, both to get used to doing it mentally and also to strengthen my hand. I don't do a lot of writing by hand anymore, but I can already see how it would be beneficial to the creative process.

No comments:

Post a Comment